Thursday, March 13, 2008

Cookin Hot


I have recently returned from traveling the icy roads of Minnesota. It would have been a dangerous affair, except for my capable brother-in-law at the wheel. Regardless, I am back safe and sound, and writing in my steady... yet unpredictable blog.
My next article of illumination? I thought of politics. You know, that whole sordid deal with Eliot Spitzer, and the "racist" hogwash going on about Obama? I guess Obama has a fanatical, racist 'pastor'. Then again, all commenters calling the pastor racist are being called racist. That's a good story, but I didn't feel like harping on that particular can of worms.
Thus, since I'm enjoying the peace and quiet (i.e. boredom) of a week off work, I am even more keen on the things of boredom that overwhelm us in this world. Yet, it is - here's my word - fascinating how even 'things of boredom' can become fun! I like to dabble in alot of things. Perhaps that means I have no strengths in one particular field of study. Or, perhaps it means I am better-versed to take on all the beguiling interests of this world. After all, isn't this old world just a bunch of people desperate to find their place in life? Some have found it. More yet are searching...searching. Still, you can have all the obligations in the world and still need... fulfillment. So I have it for you! (Thus my flippant 'article'.) Cooking! Ever tried it?

I was surprised to hear several men at my work swapping cooking/recipe ideas. I guess I'm one of those conventional women who get stuck in a kitchen and are then shocked to find out 'cooking from scratch' isn't a great phenomenon - even for men. I have been set right. I am now confident many of you will stir up and dish out these ooey-gooey cookies over the weekend. (If those of you from work will remember, I gave out these cookies for free one day. They didn't turn out so well that time, but incidently that's because I forgot the egg. Trust me, they are the height of simplicity and the aroma of them alone will melt seductively in your mouth).

Chewy Ginger Cookies

3/4 cup shortening

1-1/4 white sugar, divided

1 egg

1/4 cup molasses

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon ground ginger

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

K, you're going to want to whip that shortening and 1 cup of the sugar together into a creamy white substance (this can be done nicely with a blender) (or you can beat it like 132 times by hand). Then stir in your egg, molasses and vanilla; please mix well. In a separate bowl conjugate all dry ingredients; add those dry ingredients to your creamed mixture and mix it all together...well. Roll those babes into 1-in. balls; and roll those balls derisively in that remaining 1/4 cup sugar. Place the little sugar balls 1-1/2 in. apart on UNgreased baking sheets. Set your oven at 375 degrees. Feel confidence as you bake those cookies for 10 minutes (or until they are an irrisistable light brown). Being careful not to burn yourself (I recommend hot mitts), pull the cookies out and cool them on a wire rack. You should be able to get yourself a good 4 dozen cookies out of this, providing you scrape the bowl clean of dough.
I got this recipe from one of those great Taste of Home books, and I added a few of my own adjectives to make it a pinch less boring for you. The pictures shown on this blog were taken directly after I pulled the Andria-approved cookies from their burning abyss. Here's the official website if you want it. http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Chewy-Ginger-Cookies
Anyways, so that's my favorite cookie recipe. Remember, it's Andria-approved. Don't abuse it and give it to someone who won't cherish it and cook it forever and stuff like that.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh come on! One of you must telll me how much you enjoyed these cookies! Don't leave me in suspense... ;)

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.