Thursday, August 14, 2008

Fit for a King

All right. Since I delivered that hate speech for Best Buy in my last entry, I want to renew your faith in humanity by sharing my delightful Burger King experience with you.
Just kidding. No, actually I do want to talk about the great customer I received at Burger King, but it gets more interesting than just ‘I liked’ or ‘I hated’ the service.
On a whim as my stomach was growling today, I realized it had been years since I had had a Jumbo Burger at Burger King and I got a sudden penchant for one.
“Let’s go to Burger King,” I suggested to my brother.
“You’re treating?”
“Absolutely! It’s Burger King - how expensive can it be?”
After I argued with Jon that going through the drive-through was fruitless and would take too long, I convinced my brother to park his little white car, and I put all of my shopping purchases in the trunk (since I considered the Burger King to be “junky”).
Once inside, memories of being a young child and looking up at the HUGE Jumbo Burger signs came flowing back to me. At about 4 ft. tall, the dewy lettuce on the burger looked positively life-like, and the juicy tomato seemed to be nigh unto slipping off the burger and falling atop me. The Burger King I used to go to also had a train that was attached to the top of the wall and the train would “chug-chug-choo-choo” around the entire restaurant. That was really cool. Mind you, it was even cooler, because my parents would rarely let us go out to fast-food because my Mom was (and is) what you call “a good southern, home-cook”. We had home-style meals. Back then, I thought it was a curse from God. Now I can see it was actually a good thing.
So as I ordered, the woman at the cash register was helping someone else out by getting them a cold coffee drink. She winked, “This here’s really good stuff. I made it fresh this morning and it’s better than the other cold coffee across the street. It tastes like chocolate milk and it’s so creamy; I love it.” She then poured it out of a clear pitcher for the lady and I could practically hear the cream as it swished into the glass.
What I loved about the homely woman behind the counter was the fact that she was talking to us like she had known us forever. She was giving her honest opinion, and one could tell just by the skip in her step that she was happy, determined, and full of life. I liked her. She wasn’t over-doing it and she wasn’t annoying. She just WAS. She seemed happy with herself and she could find humor and delight in little things.
As I got my own ‘cold Jo coffee’ (I couldn‘t resist it), whopper jr, etc. and found my seat, I looked around me and noticed that almost everybody in the store was old. They were all chomping on their burgers with their gums and looking around through bifocals. Strangely, I found it comforting. Too many young people my age these days are annoying to be around. I am one young person who will admit for my generation that we tend to be self-focused, we have lost sight of what the work-ethic is (in other words, we want money for doing nothing), and we are very impressionable when it comes to pier pressure. Most people my age hate old people. But I like them. They’re cute. And sometimes they’re really interesting when they start telling stories and stuff. Growing up my parents drilled into me, “respect your elders!”, and I’d say that’s a pretty good policy to have. How shallow is it, anyways, to look down on someone just because they happen to have lived longer than me? So for that reason, I don’t understand a lot of people my age. After all, how would I feel if a little 13 year old came up to me and said, “Screw you!”? I’d get up in that little kids face and ask him where his parents are PRETTY fast.
ANYWAYS, I’m enjoying getting off subject, lol. Jonny’s chicken fries looked really pathetic so I offered to get him a couple more burgers (you know how it is with fast food), and went up and ordered them. As the lady charged me a whopping $2.11, I told her frankly (not gushingly at all), “You know, you have really good customer service.”
Her face got just like mine has gotten when I’ve been told that before. “Oh, really?” She seemed so encouraged and she said matter-of-factly, “The guy two guys back wouldn’t have said that.”
“Well, some people are idiots,” I said staunchly, and then suddenly noticing that there were a couple of guys beside me still waiting for their food. Oops.
An older black man with fine little white curls of hair and good sized glasses was standing behind me in line, and said, “Well, I wouldn’t say it, either.”
I could tell he was joking and turned to him and said, “Shame on you!”
He clarified, “I was going to say, you have SUPER customer-service!”
I laughed and so did she as she got his order. As I stood there waiting for order ‘179’, I heard the black guy to my right make a joke about something being like Brett Favre leaving the Packers. I thought his joke didn’t make any sense and so I thought, ‘obviously the guy doesn’t know much about football’.
He saw the way I looked and said to me, “You don’t watch football, do you?” It wasn’t a question. It was like he KNEW.
I shrugged. “Actually, the only team I’ll watch is the Packers, but since Favre is gone now, I don’t know if I want to watch them.”
He had a loud voice and guffawed, “Aww - you can’t do that! No, no, no.” He pulled up his sweatshirt so I could see his ‘Lakers’ fanny pack and insisted, “You gotta pick a team and stick with them! I’ve been with the Los Angeles Lakers for 17 years straight now.”
I was interested in the conversation now, and looked at him, surprised by this strangers absolute calm and good-natured-ness. “So, what do you think about Favre leaving the Packers and going to the Jets?”
“I think,” he said emphatically, his words all ready chosen, “I think that it doesn’t matter whether Favre is with the Packers. He’s maybe not chosen the best way of leaving, but the Packers are still worth watching.”
“But,” I said, quoting something I had once heard, “Think about how the Packers were doing before Brett Favre came along. To me, Packers is Brett Favre, and Favre is Packers.” My brother had a good joke that on the Packers timeline, it would have to read “BF” AND “AF” (“Before Favre” and “After Favre”). I was going to insert this joke, but he charged ahead passionately.
“Where was Brett Favre when Vince Lombardi was running the team?”
“Training,” I guessed decisively.
He repeated his question and I said the same thing and then knew I must be wrong.
“You still don’t have the right answer.“ He scoffed, “You don’t know football, do you?”
“I only admitted to watching an occasional game. All right. I confess! I am a sentimental fan!”
“Well, at least you confess to it, that’s something,” he laughed. I got my order then and called, “Thank you!”
He waved, “Have a good weekend.”
“Y’too!” I said laughingly, and Jon and I trucked out of the old Burger King. I heaved myself into the car and laughed to myself.
“Why are you laughing?” Jon asked.
“I just like that Burger King. Why has it taken us so long to discover that place? It was virtual gold mine of good-natured people!”
Honestly? The whoppers weren’t that great. It was the atmosphere that made it.

2 comments:

Meesh said...

I have to admit, when I read your blog you make me laugh. You have such a unique way of looking at things. That was meant in a positive way. :)I enjoy good customer service too and abhor bad service. I used to be a waitress so I've seen both sides of the coin, too.
BTW, Lombardi was no longer coaching the Packers in 1969 when Brett was born. It's also ok to root for Brett and the Packers this year. This is coming from someone who proudly displays her signed 1995 Brett Favre MVP football on her fireplace mantle!
And completely off the subject, please call Ali and let her know if you're flying home for Christmas or driving. Maybe we could work something out.
OOH, and if you have a "What to Bring" list (not the one from the school) could you e-mail a copy to Alyssa? Thanx

Unknown said...

UG! I just left you a nice long comment, and then my compy winked out and I LOST it! (frustrated)

Well, I just thanked you profusely for commenting on my blog, and told you that I would keep Ali out of trouble. AND, I also said that I would probably connect with you guys down on the campus, because Ali is trying to convince me that Walgreens is superior to Walmart (a tough pill to swallow) and suggested I accompany you guys to the Walgreens in the area. :) So we'll see what happens because I am being pulled by both arms to got to both Walmart and Walgreens. ;) La, such drama.

But, ug, it's lost its magic the second time of writing this! Anyhoo, I'll ttyl. Thanks again, meesh. ;) OO- and thanks for taking all that stuff down for me! I REALLY appreciate it. Pretty sure I would be running into trouble right now if I was trying to mail all of that. ;( That's something I forgot to say last erased comment, so I suppose some good came of having to rewrite all of this. ;) OKAY. Now, I'll ttyl.

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.