Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Baby Ben Update!

I'm sure you all remember Baby Ben. In fact I'm very sure, because I've had several of you ask me to do a follow-up article on his progress. So here goes, but as all good bloggers will, I shall first refresh your memory.


Little Benjamin's original birthday was supposed to be March 21st, but he was born on January 6th about 12 weeks premature. At his birth, he weighed 15 oz. and was 11 inches long. His mother recalls, "When I first saw him at 2 hours old he looked tiny, pink and cute. He looked like a normal baby only in miniature."



The doctors' reaction to his birth was recounted by his mother. "They were surprised that he survived. Only ½ the babies his size do. He is the smallest baby at (the hospital) that they’ve had."



When I first wrote to you guys about little Ben, I reported that he had significantly gained weight, and weighed in at 1 lb 8 oz as of February 25th. His mother said of that, "Hopefully that number will grow every day."



It's a happy thing for me to be able to tell you that that number has grown every day. I have a couple pictures of him that were taken just yesterday in the hospital. If you can't notice, he has the most adorable little double chin and the parents recently announced that he has just reached 5 pounds!



Note: the difference - lol




While his progress has been quite good and his parents are very encouraged, the little guy is undergoing a serious surgery tomorrow. Apparently a lot of little procedures are going to take place, and then the doctor will ask the parents whether they are willing for Baby Ben to get a tube put in (trachea). The parents will have to decide on the spot of the moment. Obviously the parents and our church family are praying very hard that little Benjamin won’t need that Tracheotomy put in, because it could cause many other severe complications. So if any of you are praying people (or even if you’re not, for that matter), please pray for Ben tomorrow because this really is a very serious time in his young life.



Mom Quote: "Why do I think Benjamin is still alive? It’s very simple actually. Because God wants him to be and because God has a purpose for Bens life that only Ben can accomplish."

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm happy to report that the surgery went very well, and the tracheotomy was not necessary. Benjamin is stable and doing well, much to his parents' relief.

Unknown said...

!
Sorry, forgot my exclamation point.

;)

Meesh said...

Thanks for your update. If I hadn't read your blog I never would have known about his situation in the first place. If you have the chance, please let his parent's know that we are praying for them and that we miss them.
Aly's Mom

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.