Monday, June 16, 2008

Cavia Porcellus - Live Pundit Square

When I was younger, I got extremely bored with my life, and decided to create a small company. With the natural limitations my young age presented me with, I decided I would study one kind of animal extensively, and raise and sell the offspring of that species. Naturally, I narrowed my vast options down to rodents.

Anyways, being me, I chose guineapigs. You would not believe how dedicated I was to those pigs. I had a weekly newsletter in which I updated their progress and posted pictures of the new births. I kept detailed records on each pig, which I sent with the pigs for their new owners. I was obsessive with their water - I wanted to make sure that any chemicals were out of the tap water before I gave them their morning bottles. (Because heaven knows what the chemicals might do to them) (Goodness - I didn't even take those precautions for myself!) I had to have Timothy hay - never Alfalfa hay - because Alfalfa might make them sick. I was told very severely by other guinea pig breeders that you have to use a certain kind of expensive bedding - never cedar chips. I believe I created this 'ether-world' of mine, because I was so dissatisfied with my own world that I wanted to create something that could give me a purpose. I was so lonely for some one to look after, that I poured all of my affection for about two years on these little creatures.

All in all I raised about 40 little guinea pigs. All of those came from 3 females, and my one Alpha-male. ;)

Then, one day I was proudly telling somebody about how dedicated I was to bringing those little pigs into the world and giving them a little love and then spreading that love to the pet shops of this world. They got very shocked and asked me what I was thinking! Goodness, it sounded good and all, but did I know where those baby guinea pigs would end up? Did I really know they would end up in a good home? It seems so laughable to me now! But back then it broke my heart, and I stopped raising them because I didn't want to send them out into a world that wouldn't love them. I should've bucked up and told them to get lost. But then again, that's just the insensitive creature I've turned into talking. It's probably best that I outgrew the whole guinea pig breeding thing, because while it (believe it or not) taught me responsibility and hard work, I gradually grew less interested in it all. I think we all grow less interested in things when we realize they can't last forever. It's like - why bother, eh?

Nevertheless, you can't know me without knowing this secret chunk of my life, right? So for your viewing pleasure, (in other words for those of you who have no idea what a guinea pig is) I've uploaded a few admittedly cute pictures of two Cavia Porcelli and a few of their offspring.

Female : Missy (Regular American) Male : PJ (Agouti American)









(Dominant) Agouti = X
(Recessive) American = Y
Missy = XY
PJ = XY
-------------PJ
--------------X - Y
---Missy X--- XX - XX
----------Y--- XY - YY





Dominant Gene, Agouti Fur
Complements of the late TLC Guinea Pigs Company

No comments:

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.