Monday, November 19, 2012

Christmas in the City

So I was meeting up with a couple classmates downtown to go over our campaign ideas over coffee, and I discovered the most fascinating thing. When the sun goes down, downtown comes alive! I decided that there is something FAR more magical about downtown in the evening than there is during the day. As I left my coconutty latte cup in the underground coffee shop and emerged into the night air, I felt as if I had walked into another world....one fraught with trees connected by strings of white Christmas lights and tiny mom and pop shops selling their Christmas goods. This sales lady was laughing with her regulars and she was selling these ridiculous little shoe covers. I couldn't help but walk around a bit with constant happy sighs and my fists all bundled warmly in my pockets.

And as I got in my car, my hand fell of it's own accord to the "Seek" button on the radio. Suddenly my car was filled with "You better watch out, You better not cry! Santa Clause is comin to town!" And now I'm converted. It's not even Thanksgiving and I'm in the most beautiful Christmas spirit known to mankind.

Of course I came home singing and shaking my hips to imaginary sleigh bells and la-la-la'd my way into the house and my brother barks, "Can't you be quiet? I'm writing a paper, can't you see?" This was said with exceedingly frustrated hand motions in the air and his little neck stiffened to match the stiffness of his pursed lips.

I quietly shut his door and went to my room and dreamed of a world where I could fly above the city and look down and hear the hustle and bustle of Christmas. I dreamed that my radio-sing-along voice had been recorded and made famous worldwide. I dreamed that I didn't need a lover - I was in love with the world, hand in hand with a bright future and the laughter of all that is good and giving. I didn't need money in that moment to dream of home...of snow in Wisconsin...of my old friends...of my family...of all the anticipation that Christmas can possibly gift me with.

I am so blessed!

No comments:

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.