Monday, February 11, 2008

I would have loved to live back in 1066, during the Norman invasion. You know why? Because out of the middle ages, came BEOWOLF. MY FAVORITE LITERATURE OF ALL TIME.

NOT. When I first began studying what was labeled ‘difficult to understand’, I thought - my, but I have a greater level of understanding than most, so this shall be fun. (shall - pause for the violent crossing out of the old English word). I rose to the challenge, and I did understand it, but when I finished, I could not help but think that the only reason why it is ‘good’ is because it is ‘old’.

So THAT is why I would love to live in the middle ages. I could become a controversial woman monk, and scribe down my words that would become famous works of literature, forced upon would-be-literature-lovers worldwide.

2 comments:

guthrie said...

I'm pretty sure you wouldn't enjoy the massacres and starvation that occured in the years after 1066. Nevertheless, there were in the high medieval period a number of nuns of note, as well as lay people such as Mergery Kempe, who are still known of today.

Unknown said...

My dear guthrie. Revel in the sarcasm.

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.