Friday, February 22, 2008

"You will never be your best doing it someone else's way..." - Rush Limbaugh



I think of all the things in the world that I love to do… I love to free write. I want to travel someday, and sit on the edge of a highly exotic foreign hill, and write without a care in the world. Perhaps stretched out on a rock far away, I can imagine no one will judge me there. Or, I could sit here at my humble little computer and imagine I am at the top of a hill in Greece. Yes, if I cannot have the blue-green sea and the stark white buildings come to me, I will imagine them into my living room. Sometimes, imagining is much more fun than actually having.

I like to imagine that my house is really organized. That, my friends, is truly a boon of an imagination. Every time I go to look for a lid to put on a Tupperware of cookies, none of the lids fit any of the dishes. You would think something so simple would not bother a highly-complex individual like myself, but indeed, it bothers me greatly. My dear mother, bless her heart, signed up for a ‘de-clutter your life’ class. When the day of the class came, though, she announced that it was too cold, and she’d better not risk the trip (because, you know the cold causes accidents all the time). So, that brings us up to a present-day experience. My Dad says, “Andria, put the brownies away so I won’t be tempted to eat them.” So, I shuffle over to the cupboard, and have to ravage it for a full 10 minutes before I find a two-some that will keep my brownies safe. I have the same organizational problem with socks (and I love socks!). Right before I'm headed to work, there is always one sock missing. And shoes! There are never two of the same shoe when I need them. Wow, this is opening my eyes. These problems really do not solve themselves, eh? Well, if it helps any, my college-chest is very organized.

I am decidedly sick of politics today. I find the argument in America's many issues are fascinating, because there are so many ways to see things. But today at The Shop where I serve coffee (and other delicious victuals and condiments), I had to defend myself in no less than 5 heated political debates before 10:00 in the morning. (That may have been the consequence for posting a quote by Rush Limbaugh by the cash register.)

I rather enjoy these debates, because it opens my mind to new ways to defend my opinions. I feel alive for once, because I actually have something to do besides smile and say, “Please give me all your money.” Frankly, unless I back down and concede something in one of these lively debates, those who leave my shop are wrong, and I who stay behind the counter - am right. I’d tell them that too, and it would probably be a good laugh for us both. I don’t mind being told I am wrong, or being taught new things, but I still believe what I believe. I’m not changing on that. I full well know that I have changed no democrat for the better, either. But, still, the points must be made.

Yet, how fun is it when somebody disagrees with you and then has the audacity to accuse “You’re not listening!” - but in fact is not listening himself? It’s not. Such a guy came in to The Shop today. I’ll call him Bob. I like Bob, and we’ve debated on numerous occasions . But when I countered Bob’s arguments today, he became aghast and looked at me in a bit of shock. “That’s fascism! Despotism!”, he gasped when I said I thought users of illegal drugs should be put behind bars for the safety of American people. I laughed, as I am apt to do whenever something becomes too somber, but he did not laugh. He continued to hammer his point - that minor offenders should not be subjected to our prison systems where they become gang members - as if he thought he could change my mind by convincing me that he was right, and I was too young and stupid to understand such things. I realize I don’t know everything, but I hate it when someone gets up in my face with the intention of taking the humor and the spunk clear out of me.

There are actually a couple gents that come into The Shop just to debate with me before they head off to work. This is refreshing for me, because all of their many biases and lively, jesting opinions become a virtual jump start for the cables in my brain. But after Bob I didn’t feel like debating politics with a few people, because I felt so disturbed that I had actually had my first unpleasant political discussion with someone I actually respected a lot. I felt like Rush Limbaugh without the whole ‘I can hang you up’ leverage. It was a momentary confusion, but I intend to throw aside that cloak of darkness, and plunge ahead into the unknown light. So, I don’t know all. That’s nothing new. All the more to learn then! Ah, the relief I find in these realizations of mine!! Back to the simplicities in life!

I will imagine I am asleep in bed, all curled up with my cat at my feet, and someone is reading this blog. That, I can write about freely, don’t you agree?

No comments:

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.