Saturday, February 16, 2008

Saturday’s are wonderful things. When my customers politely asked on ‘Happy Friday’ what my weekend was going to consist of, I confided my plans in them. “I plan to sleep in.” That alone, is a big occasion for me. But plans go awry. Often, I plan to ‘go to bed early’. That never happens, so I suppose my dream of ‘sleeping in’ was naturally doomed.

My sister and brother-in-law, two newlyweds who always seem to be buying something new, invited my brother and I to go shopping today in Chicago. The store of allurement was ‘IKEA’. I had popped my head into the fascinating Minnesota IKEA a summer ago, so I thoughtlessly agreed to ‘11:00’ on Saturday. Note to myself: Never make Saturday plans for anything before noon!

Naturally, to ‘be ready on time’, my brother and I were summoned from sleep by my Dad who declared it was ‘time to get up’. As one might imagine, my response was more than mildly crabby.

The parking-lot of IKEA was teeming with cars of people that were ‘waiting’ for a parking spot in the most inconvenient places. The joy of screwy map quest directions, combined with tense words for bad maneuvering - found our four-some rather ruffled by the time our feet entered the fair IKEA entrance. I sensed that some in our party were annoyed by these little traveling dilemmas - kind of like people who are annoyed by a cloud of gnats every time they try to sit down.

Regardless, IKEA was a world of fully-furnished rooms, and unique twists on average products. The countless varieties of baskets began to play with my mind. Did I need a basket? What if I could use that basket? The options bewildered me, and my full hands found themselves a shiny, happy cart, which soon became piled with items that were ’cheap’ and that ’I might be able to use’. I knew most of my chosen treasures were unnecessary, but the thought of later regretting NOT getting them - plagued me. That kind of basket might not be anywhere else! And certainly not for that price! Yes, I needed the basket. Thus, is the way my intricate thought-process works.

Since I refused to pay the 59 cents for a bag, I resorted to the old-fashioned method of carrying all of my purchases. My poor brother followed me all around the store, because nothing seemed too alluring to him - and he was safe passing by colored alarm clocks, organizing bags, 99-cent pillow shams, and adorable little cactuses (I never liked cactuses before today) for 4.99. I, unfortunately, was not safe, but I determined if I was destined to spend money, I would spend it on things for college. What better than a cactus to look after while at college! (just kidding) (although I did think about it)

When I got home, I greedily collected all of my purchases (yelling at my brother for misplacing my awesome blue basket), and spread them before my mother - all the while feeling happy in my heart for the good I had brought into my home. There’s something satisfying for a woman when she shows another woman what she has and the other woman hasn’t. Mystifying, I know, but facts are hard things.

Ever since I got some brand new sheets that I had no particular use for, I have been putting odd assortments of ‘college things’ in a big antique, cat-scratched chest. I have turned the opening against the wall so that I won’t sneak in and ‘borrow’ one of my saved items. I carried up the IKEA items and buried them forever in the college vault. I snapped the latch shut with solemn sacredness.

An investment in the future. Truly.

No comments:

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.