Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Attitude in Relation with Current Barometric Pressure

It's nearing mid-week, and I have to say that I am happy, happy, happy! I hate Wednesdays. They are neither close to the beginning of a fresh new week, nor close to the exciting weekend. That kills me because I can't ask my customers 'How was your weekend?' like I can Monday an Tuesday. And I can't ask, 'So, big plans for your weekend?' on Thursday and Friday. For most of you that may seem like a simple dilemma, but to me it is horrific. But, the sun has smiled my way, for I have a new inspiration to smile on my Wednesday. Amidst the fabulous 65 degree weather due tomorrow, McDonalds' is giving out different free drinks on Mon-Wed. Monday offers a free sampler coffee, Tuesday supplies a sweet southern tea sampler (hint: a bit too sweet), and Wednesday is my favorite; an Iced Coffee sampler. So tomorrow I plan to trudge over to a nice friendly McD's and ask for Iced Coffee. So the thought of such ice-cold deliciousnes mellows out the horridness of Wednesday.

While the previous paragraph may appear pointless, it has a reason. Everything I say has a point - it's just not always obvious. I wrote that about Wednesdays, because I am discovering more and more that how one's day/life goes depends almost entirely on ones' attitude to it. As a result, I find myself wincing more and more when I meet people who are determined to be pecimistic.

Example: A few short weeks ago, it was mentioned that it would just be so nice to see grass. There was so much snow, that even a blade of brown grass would be pleasant. If it could be more like spring, it would be easier to have a nice day.

Today I realized that some people in this world are just whiners. No matter WHAT, they WANT to be pecimistic. (I have been guilty of this before, so I am not speaking from lack of experience.) This is dangerous, my friends, because a dark cloud often spreads. Later, as I thought back on the balmy 63 degree weather, I remembered some of what people had to say about it today.

One pleasant gentleman: It's too hot.
One woman: I hear it's windy.
Another man: I feel a chill. It's too chilly.
One customer (no joke): I am doing well, in relation to the current barometric pressure and changing of wind patterns.

Imagine my chagrin when I realized how much stock even I put in the weather! With each customer, I felt like I was being deflated about the weather, and I had to come to its' defense. (That's what makes Global Warming so laughable. We couldn't even change the weather if we wanted to!) How ridiculous! I must be dedicated to NOT letting the weather affect me so much, because while I cannot control the weather, I CAN control my attitude to it. It works the same way with the day of the week, be it Monday or Wednesday or Friday. For those of you techincal people who want a point to everything, this concept also applies to your environment and your work situation. Now I REALIZE that many jobs are difficult and completely mind-absorbing. But a good attitude goes a long way. Like today I went to McDonalds for the sweet tea sampler (ick), and the cashier was kindly asked how she liked her job. "It's horrible." "You... you don't like it?" her customer asked a bit taken back. "No, I don't like it. It's sometimes good, but it's alot bad." Then she said, "How can I help you?" lol! If I tried that I would have to just sit down and laugh at myself. La... people are funny. They amuse me. Life is amusing. This blog is amusing. I've been accused of turning it into a diary, but I don't care. If an issue presents itself, I will research and dash it out upon the rocks of commentators. But if I just want to write... well, I'll write. Thank God for real life experiences, no? ;) And... to be honest, I love the lush carpets of bright-green lawns. It does perk me up a bit to wake up to sunlight and birds in the still of the morning.

Every season has its' benefits. Good is so often over-looked. One merely must choose to be thankful for every pleasant thing that comes along. After all, life is full of surprises...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Dude - ette, you gotta tell me who commented on the barometric pressure!!! You gotta ask yourself something, like "Can that person really be happy?". :o)
ok, as promised, Google 'Obama' +Baby +daughters and you'll see the hits about BO's comment about a baby being a punishment. The Canadian coverage was nice - I think they have a different bias than your typical liberal US news outlet would.
You really need to see the new Ben Stein movie, "EXPELLED". It points out the trite hypocrisy present in current US academia. You can also call it Fascism as that label can also be applied. And that is, if you, as a fellow academician, are of an opposing opinion than the current PC-oriented sway, (say Global Warming or Intelligent Design) you are ostracized and can even be removed from your position. And it can get nasty too. The hypocracy here is that these same institutions and academicians who defend their right to free speech, up to and including inviting Mahmoud Im-a-nut-job from Iran to speak at Columbia, are intolerable of and shout down those with opposing opinions. So much for free speech. It is similar to a liberal who calls someone a fascist in order to end a discussion. As George Carlin famously noted, "it's the word you save for the end of the argument" (Okay, so it was a DIFFERENT word, but it still applies). Anyway, have a great weekend and good luck on your studies!
Cheers!

Unknown said...

Aw, thanks for the comment, and good wishes, Chuck.

lol, the guy who said the barometric pressure thing is actually pretty cheerful. He just throws out stuff like that to startle you. He was also the donator of the shops comment for today. 'Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has a couple.' lol - so he's crazy but he knows it so it makes him right on the level.

I googled that and - ug... that makes me mad. Punished by having a baby? Wow... It's definitely not the desired result of pre-marital sex for most people, but it's probably the only GOOD lasting thing about it all. Yes, it alters plans in young lives and certainly changes their care-free sex lives, but it is a NATURAL result of such things. Kids should learn that with decisions, comes the consequences, and then with those consequences can come great joy when they are born out.

Yes, I have been dieing to see the EXPELLED movie. There's been quite a bit of discussion on the Phyrangula site, and many of the scientists there are very distressed... or more like infuriated by the movie. They say it's just 'annoying', but I think the emphasis of their words speaks of something louder than annoyance.

Again, thanks for the comment and the good lucking! Hope you have a fantabulous weekend, too!!

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.