Saturday, April 26, 2008

The Procrastinating Ogre

Ahaha. I just found this article I wrote about 'Packing for College'. I felt like laughing my head off when I saw it a few seconds ago. I wrote this story as a junior in highschool. I have no IDEA how to pack for college! In fact, I'm just now finding out how LITTLE I do know. ;) You can tell by my article that I am reaching a bit. In all reality, I am one of those writers who needs to experience something before writing about it. This article is no exception. That, of course, is not to say that I don't hit on some profound points. But, still... Ick. And yet, I'm sure one day when I'm older and wiser (if that's possible) I'll stumble across this blog and exploit these words to a degrading fan-network for the sake of laughter. That's a depressing thought. And yet, I do love these discoveries of mine. It makes life more interesting. So may I present to you, my dear faithful readers, this long-lost interesting discovery.

--Packing for college, from a five year olds point of view, would be as comforting as cleaning the room pretty much right when Mom suggests it get clean. From a 13 year olds perspective, it would be a warm, inviting thought, similar to studying for a big science test. But from the big-stuff 18 year old point of view? It's the end to the summer.

--Picturing myself before an open bag that needs clothes, toothbrushes, deodorant, and various assortments of underwear, causes me to pause. Imagining my new room mates for a second, I can literally visualize the intimidating leer, as the diva, my new closest year-long friend, criticizes the contents of my luggage. So, as any normal red-blooded 18 year old girl, my first thought is 'shopping'. My second thought is startlingly faithful as it pops up screaming, 'money'. So I, still hypothetically picturing myself, would probably leave the bag sitting open, shoved behind my bed, until I could get the money to buy the items to pack the bag.

--That thought process is the classic example of a chain-reaction. I'm not going to be a business-woman and say it all goes back to money, but I am going to say that it all goes back to being prepared. From needing a job, to getting the money, to finding the right merchandise at the right price, packing for college is a big deal. Which is why, packing the week before college is quite simply, hard.

--You need to prepare ahead of time for that big day when you leave home, so you can say goodbye to your family without screaming mid-"I love you" that you forgot such-and-such a life-altering thing at home. Preparing is not just a spur of the moment decision, neither is it a habit that will miraculously grow on you when get to college. It's a step-by-step process that, as a young child, you first begin the hard process of learning.

--From cleaning a room when mom says (notice, not later), to studying for a science test before (note: not after), you and I were both being taught that when we get things done on time, things go easier for us. When we were little, procrastinating was just a really big word. Now, where college and the future will hold you and I responsible, it holds big meaning.

--So what are some quick tips to not procrastinating? First, I'd have to say the thing that would help me, is write a list. Even just numbering your agenda, much like making yourself a schedule, or writing this paragraph, keeps things in order. Second, aim for punctuality. Set specific times for yourself when you want to get up and be places, and make sure you follow them. It won't suddenly get easier when you're in the dorm and people are screaming for you to push the snooze. Third, be diligent not to overwhelm yourself with un-necessaries. By un-necessaries, I mean trips to the grocery store to get another box of donuts. Don't weigh yourself down with tons of tiny little things on your list that don't really need to be done. Things like that.

--Here's a tip. My brother is about to head off to college. What's on his mind? Nothing. He's gotten the down-payment on his college bill paid, so as far as he's concerned, he's good for a while. While it's not a bad idea to level out your stress intake, you also need to be preparing yourself for the fast pace life that's ahead. Procrastinating, in his case, could be as simple as not THINKING about what he might need to be attacking in the near-future. It's something he is putting off until it's absolutely upon him, breathing down his neck and growling, "Whachu lookin' at?"

--So before you reach that big day when you say goodbye to high school and wave hello to the procrastination ogre, I hope that no matter what your age or level of maturity, you can go beyond your expectations, and someday look back at the world who thought you'd never make it, and ask them, with just a little attitude, "Wachu lookin' at?"


La, I want to die from laughter. A good healthy humorous death, I'd say.

No comments:

Virgin Diaries


A lot happens on couches. Movie night. Good book. Morning coffee. Making out. Making out. Making out.

Pull up a couch if you want to read about it.